[Openmcl-devel] Compiler warnings

Tom Emerson tremerson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:48:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
> Serious question: why does portability matter to you so much?  Back in
> the day, portability mattered because DARPA said it mattered.  Those
> days are long gone.  Do we really need to be able to port code between
> five different implementations nowadays?  Are the benefits really
> worth the costs?

I think this depends highly on what you're writing. If you're writing
a library with the intent of others using it, then compatibility
absolutely matters. If you're writing an application that you want to
release to the community, then it matters (Maxima comes to mind.) If
you're writing an application for your own use (and don't plan to
distribute the source code) or you're writing a proprietary system,
then modulo the points Dan Weinreb made perhaps portability doesn't
matter. But in general I think it does.

    -tree

--
Tom Emerson