[Openmcl-devel] ASDF-INSTALL Problems (Many)

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Wed Oct 28 12:58:53 PDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Wade Humeniuk wrote:

> I was having many problems with asdf-install.

I wonder what asdf-install's future is.  I guess we (CCL maintainers
and users) have to keep it going on CCL, since we bundle it.

> And I had to change tar handling because of snow leopard changes.
> Changed
>
> #+:openmcl
> (defun return-output-from-program (program args)
> (with-output-to-string (out-stream)
>   (let ((proc (ccl:run-program program args
>                                :input nil
>                                :output :stream
>                                :wait nil)))
>     (loop for line = (read-line
> 			(ccl:external-process-output-stream proc) nil nil nil)
>           while line
>           do
> 	   (if (string= line "x " :end1 2 )
> 	       (write-line (subseq line 2) out-stream)
> 	       (write-line line out-stream))))))
>
> That is probably not the best place to fix tar issues (Oh well).

It looks like it would be better to put some hack in INSTALL-PACKAGE
that will trim a "x " from the output of the tar program.  From a
quick glance, it appears as though the code just looks at the first
line of the tar output to figure out what directory the tar file
expanded into.

If you're willing to come up with something along those lines, I'll
commit it (and your other changes) to CCL's bundled asdf-install.