[Openmcl-devel] A plug for nx1-combination-hook

Glen Foy lisp at clairvaux.org
Fri Sep 4 03:23:53 PDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 6:57 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

> IMHO, being able to actually run the more compact form would be a big
> win for pedagogical purposes if nothing else.  I think it would also
> potentially win some converts who might be on the fence between CL and
> Scheme.  (And if we can integrate H-M type-checking we might win some
> Haskell wannabes as well. :-)

Just a general comment --

Many of us come from an MCL background, Clozure as well as list
members.  We are used to MCL's lean, even Spartan IDE.  We know that a
Lisp System doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles to be really
powerful.

The problem is new users don't know that.  Alex Repenning has
commented on this numerous times.  He teaches young programmers and
knows what he's talking about.  We need to give CCL some flash.  Young
programmers are used to XCode and Eclipse.  They expect toolbars and
project managers.  They expect to be able to single step their code
and to set break points.  They expect to be able to push a button and
have their applications built and launched.  Etc, Etc. Etc.

We need to be better salesmen for Lisp in general and CCL in
particular.  We need to package it better.  Presentation is everything.

I could imagine someone like Marco Baringer doing a series of videos.
Marco is a virtuoso Emacs/Hemlock user, and just watching him work out
in the Slime video was a pleasure.  He could explain Lisp's and CCL's
unique features:  code generation, higher level functions, embedded
languages, interactive development, multi-methods, Lisp macros, method
combination, etc.etc.  He could explain the importance of native
thread support in our multcore future.  We're talking YouTube "most
frequently viewed" here.  :--)

In addition, we need a collection of interesting, flashy
applications.  Alex's XMLisp is a wonderful large example.  Ron's Y-
combinator is a small, but truly cool example.

Cool is important.