[Openmcl-devel] Commands on the Menu [Re: Contrib: list-definitions.lisp]

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Mon Sep 7 14:29:37 PDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 3:58 PM, Rainer Joswig wrote:
> Generally I would say that the MCL UI had a mistake, that is easily
> repeatable with CCL: some commands were not easily discoverable.
> They were only available via obscure keyboard commands or mouse
> gestures. I would like to see the CCL UI to be more discoverable -
> that means that ANY useful user interface command has an entry in
> the menubar, somewhere. The expert can use the short cuts, once he/
> she has found the functionality - but for the newbie or the casual
> user, there should be an entry in the menubar's menus.

I'll take the MCL UI as a starting point for discussing future
improvements in CL IDEs.

The MCL UI could indeed benefit from having menu entries for the most
useful interface commands. Some very essential commands are not
prominently listed in the MCL menu, including commands like these on
the current symbols or sexp:

List Callers (Ctrl-c)
Show Definition/Source (Opt-. or Ctrl-Opt-click)
Inspect (Help key)
Show Documentation (Ctrl-x-Ctrl-d)

However, these and other commands are in fact discoverable from the
Listener- and Fred Commands dialogs of the Tools menu. The problem is
that these dialogs list a lot of available commands - no less than
182 for the Fred editor. Adding more than a few to the menus would
quickly be counterproductive.

One issue with having so many commands listed is that it complicates
re-discovering useful commands. A remedy could be having a way to
flag the most useful commands, allowing users to customize which
commands should be prominently listed on the menus for later reference.

-- Terje Norderhaug