[Openmcl-devel] Swank stability [Re: A plug for nx1-combination-hook]

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Thu Sep 10 11:49:08 PDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Daniel Weinreb wrote:
>> One technological thing I'd like to see if to make
>> the Slime/Swank protocol be documented and
>> stabilized
>
> good luck with that!
>
> sorry to be pessimistic, but I get the strong impression that it will
> be an extremely frigid day in the nether regions when Slime becomes
> stable, or, as someone else has put it:

The Swank server protocol (ignoring the emacs Slime implementation)
has been reasonably stable lately. There is a flip-side to the
stability issue, namely that it is possible to introduce changes to
make Swank work better for alternative clients than emacs/slime. My
recent suggestions may have been the cause of most disruptions lately...

-- Terje Norderhaug