[Openmcl-devel] Scheme vs. Lisp [was A plug for nx1-combination-hook]

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 11 08:14:19 PDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 9:49 AM, Daniel Weinreb wrote:

>> The OpenGL examples in PLTscheme are downright embarrassing.
>> One can speculate why Scheme is is loosing ground. I am guessing it
>> has more to do with actual functionality, e.g., continuations
>> really are not a substitute for OOP, than with syntax.
> I don't know that it's losing ground.  If you mean MIT's
> freshman core curriculum, the reason for the change
> is nothing like that; see my blog writeup at

As far as I can tell the the reason implied in the interview does
match the general observation that students do not pay too much
attention to theoretical concerns but are interested in the concrete
aspects of programming. Students want to work on personally meaningful
projects and, typically, not to explore interesting theoretical
tidbits. Are continuations conceptually as powerful as, say, OOP in
CL? Most students simply do not care. Can they hack an app for their
phone, or make a 3D game? Completely different story. Send a student
to explore something like PLTscheme and have them run the OpenGL
examples. Seeing that it can barely handle OpenGL 1.0 students will
file that experience in the same fun category of playing with punch
cards and core memory.

All the best,  Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado