[Openmcl-devel] watched objects

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Mon Sep 28 08:48:48 PDT 2009

In Ye Olde Days at the AI lab, when we used assembly
language on the PDP-10, we had the ability to set up
a memory location so that if one attempted to write
it, the program would pause and the debugger would
take over so you could see what was happening.  (I believe
that the AI guys made a hardware mod to the PDP-10
to get this functionality; I'm not sure, I'd have to check
with Greenblatt or Knight or Moon.)  It was sometimes
incredibly useful (bug: somebody is changing that
value but I don't know who).  We had it in the Lisp
machine too, for the same reason.  You only need
it rarely but for some bugs, it's incredibly helpful.

On the Lispm, if I remember right, you could specify
a "place" to watch, using the same "place" concept
used by setf.  So you could watch element 7 of a
particular array object.  The problem with complex
objects (hash tables) was the same; the feature is
defined at a low level of abstraction.  Nevertheless,
it was very useful.

-- Dan