[Openmcl-devel] ...the sky is falling

Joakim Sandgren joakim at joakimsandgren.com
Tue Apr 6 03:55:58 PDT 2010

Thank you Gary.
It is now half the way.
I come to the right document but lisp still say Couldn't find
definition for... and it dont go to the definition.
But I dont have the console anymore.

It also opens the file window in another place than where it was
saved. And the title is always in uppercase letters (and the files
name is in lower case letters).
In the old version 13560 the console does the same: open in a new
location with uppercase letters. when I quitted the console the window
popped back to its
original location and changed the title to lowsercase letters.

With the "fixed" file (the file where I did paste the totality of the
original file) I still come to the definition in the 2 versions.
That windw is still though the uppercase letter window in a new
(default?) location.

This is perhaps a wanted behaviour, I just wanted to point it out..

sincerely
joakim

Le 6 avr. 10 à 11:53, Gary Byers a écrit :

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Joakim Sandgren wrote:
>
>> here is one console :sincerely
>> joakim
>>

> Thanks.  I haven't been able to reproduce this, but can convince
> myself
> that a bug that I did find could have led to this error.  Could you
> please
> update to r13585 (in the trunk), rebuild the IDE, and let me know if
> this
> problem persists ?
>
> I think that the combination of factors that might lead to the bug is:
>
> - the definition you're looking for isn't at its recorded position in
>   the file/buffer, either because the file/buffer has been edited
> since
>   the function was defined or because that position is a byte offset
> (not
>   a character offset) and the file is encoded in a variable-length
> encoding
>   (like UTF-8).  (I don't remember if the latter possibility is a
> factor;
>   Gail might know offhand.)  In this case, M-. has to search for the
>   definition.
>
> - a data structure used to perform that search was initialized
> incorrectly
>   if the length of the search string (the recorded source of the
> definition)
>   was greater than the largest CHAR-CODE of the characters in that
> search
>   string.  (In other words, it was completely bogus.)
>
> That (mis-)initialization is definitely a bug, and it would have led
> to the
> same symptom that showed up in the backtrace.
>
> When reporting a bug, it's much, much better to send a backtrace
> (even if
> it turns out to be unnecessary) than to not send one (if it does
> turn out
> to be necessary.)  r13585 fixes -a- bug (and it's quite possible
> that it's
> the one that's affected you), and it wouldn't have been possible to
> even
> know where to look without the backtrace.

Joakim Sandgren
joakim sandgren musik
42, rue de Maubeuge
75009 Paris