[Openmcl-devel] memory

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Apr 14 01:59:28 PDT 2010

On 14 Apr 2010, at 02:41, Gary Byers wrote:

>  don't have a strong opinion as to whether SIZEOF should be a generic
> function or not; I do have trouble with the idea that it should return
> random, incorrect values.  (That seems like an unorthodox fighting
> style, now that I think about it.)

I think that means that either SIZEOF should not be a GF or it should
not be user-extensible - any "method" on it needs to know
implementation details, really.  My guess (based on reading your
implementation) is that there is probably only a small number of cases
it needs to deal with, and any change to the number of cases is
because the implementation has changed in some significant way (the
forthcoming PDP-11 16-bit version for instance)...

So FWIW I think it should be a function since extensibility buys you
basically 0.