[Openmcl-devel] memory

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Apr 14 07:23:44 PDT 2010

On 14 Apr 2010, at 14:58, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> 2) sizeof as C/C++/Ojective-C inspired sizeof operator returning the
> number of RAW bytes with no meta information (no headers, no tag
> bits, ...) typically used to deal with FFIs. Mostly used in the
> context of allocating raw memory and accessing it with (%get-
> byte ...) kinds of functions.This is what we need to interface with
> OpenGL/ Cocoa and other APIs on Macs and PCs.

How is this useful?  I want SIZEOF to tell me how many instances of an
x I can fit in y bytes of memory, not some number which tells me
something I can't see a use for.

For this version of sizeof, what would, say (sizeof (make-
instance ...)) be useful for?

Perhaps your objection is that this thing should not be called sizeof
because it's too reminiscent of the C function.