[Openmcl-devel] memory

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Apr 14 15:45:11 PDT 2010

Hmm.  So one SIZEOF doesn't fit all ?

There are other names that one could use, but one convention (used
in the function HEAP-UTILIZATION and elsewhere) is to call "the size,
in bytes, of the accessible data in an object" its LOGICAL-SIZE
and the the size of the data + any header + alignment its PHYSICAL-SIZE.

You could also make one function that returns two values, or otherwise
structure this differently.

(in-package "CCL")

(defun logical-sizeof (thing)
   ;; All memory-allocated objects in CCL are either CONSes or
   ;; "UVECTOR"s; a UVECTOR contains a header which describes the
   ;; object's primitive type (represented as an (UNSIGNED-BYTE 8) and
   ;; accessible via the function CCL::TYPECODE) and element-count
   ;; (accessible via the function CCL::UVSIZE.)  A function defined in
   ;; the compiler backend knows how to map from a typecode and
   ;; element-count to a size in octets.
   ;; On x86-64, SYMBOLs and FUNCTIONs have their own tag, but there's
   ;; an underlying UVECTOR.
   (cond ((null thing) 0)
         ((consp thing) target::cons.size)
         #+x8664-target ((and thing (symbolp thing)) (logical-sizeof (%symptr->symvector thing)))
         #+x8664-target ((functionp thing) (logical-sizeof (function-to-function-vector thing)))
         ((uvectorp thing)
          (let* ((typecode (typecode thing))
                 (element-count (uvsize thing)))
            ;; Call the architecture-specific backend function.
            (funcall (arch::target-array-data-size-function
                            (backend-target-arch *host-backend*))
                           typecode element-count)
                           typecode element-count))
         (t 0)))

(defun physical-sizeof (thing)
   ;; For non-uvectors, the physical size is the same as the logical size.
   ;; For uvectors, the physical size includes header & alignment overhead.
   ;; On x8664, SYMBOLs and FUNCTIONs are conceptually uvevtors, but have
   ;; their own tag; we map them to the underlying uvector in the cond.
   (let* ((logical-size (logical-sizeof thing)))
     (cond
     #+x8664-target ((and thing (symbolp thing)) (physical-sizeof (%symptr->symvector thing)))
     #+x8664-target ((functionp thing) (physical-sizeof (function-to-function-vector thing)))
     ((uvectorp thing)
       ;; if thing is a UVECTOR, account for header and alignment,
       (logandc2 (+ logical-size
                    target::node-size ; size of header
                    (1- target::dnode-size)) ; alignment
                  (1- target::dnode-size)))