[Openmcl-devel] Threads and lispbuilder-sdl and cocoa

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Apr 24 18:50:46 PDT 2010

The short version is that yes, most things in Cocoa (anything that
interacts with the event system and most drawing, unless you're
very careful about the latter) need to be run on the initial thread.

The CCL:PROCESS that represents the initial thread is the value
of CCL::*INITIAL-PROCESS*; to force arbitrary code to run in that
process, you can do:

(process-interrupt ccl::*initial-process* (lambda () (arbitrary-code)))

That works (when the target process is the Cocoa event thread) by enqueueing
an application-defined event (whose event handler calls the lambda.)  That
generally works, but if the event thread is doing something compute-bound
(it generally shouldn't ...) or modal (I'm not sure about this), the
interrupt won't be processed until the next trip through the main event
loop.