[Openmcl-devel] Trace/BPT trap with cl-opengl loading

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Aug 5 08:20:00 PDT 2010

The "trace/bkpt trap" happens - as you've already confirmed - when
a thread other than the initial thread tries to open/initialize
a particular shared library.  (I'm fairly sure that the library
in question is CoreFoundation, which is used by many other things
on OSX.)

Alex's XMLisp stuff runs on top of CCL's Cocoa environment, which
takes great care to ensure that the Cocoa framework (and therefore
CoreFoundation) are loaded on the initial thread.  (If it didn't,
it would run into the same breakpoint trap.  Honest.)

[~] gb at antinomial> ccl
Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.6-dev-r14118M-trunk  (DarwinX8632)!
;;; Two lisp processes are running: the listener, and the initial
;;; process.  Each of these lisp processes is implemented as a
;;; native OS thread.
? :proc
1 : -> listener     [Active]
0 :    Initial      [Sleep]
;;; Let's try to open the CoreFoundation library from the listener
;;; process.
? (open-shared-library "CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation")
Trace/BPT trap

Lots of other OSX libraries will (directly or transitively) load
CoreFoundation.  CoreFoundation's initialization code checks in 10.6
to see if it's being called on the initial thread; if not, it executes
an illegal debugging instruction and the process terminates.  That's
not a particulary graceful way to fail, but that's what happens.

I hope that this is clear; apologies to everyone to which it was
already clear.