[Openmcl-devel] differences from os10.5.... to 10.6...

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Aug 23 10:46:07 PDT 2010

Apple's 10.6 release notes:

<http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/MacOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/MacOSX10_6.html>

don't seem to describe any changes in Core Animation, but they do mention
some under-the-hood changes to NSImage/CGImage/CGImageRef.

I don't know enough about this stuff to do anything but wave my hands around,
but I've seen cases where an OS release appears to break something that had
appeared to work before and on closer inspection it turns out that it had
"appeared to work before" almost by accident (e.g., that code was depending
on undocumented behavior or something like that.)

The code that I'd want to look at carefully in that context is the stuff
that sets the CALayer's content from an NSImage (if I understand correctly)
by way of a CGImageRef.  I don't know if that suspicion is well-founded, but
my first reaction is to wonder whether that code is correct (whether it might
depend on some external state that was set as expected in 10.5 but isn't
in 10.6; the fact that these classes changed under-the-hood in 10.6 makes this
seem like a plausible theory, as does the fact that the CALayers don't seem
to all have valid contents in 10.6.

(Plausible theories aren't necessarily correct ones, and I don't know of any
concrete problem in that code, so this vague handwavy suspicion may turn out
to be completely unfounded.)