[Openmcl-devel] Character Encoding Problem?

Philippe Sismondi psismondi at arqux.com
Thu Dec 23 23:02:45 PST 2010

On 2010-12-24, at 12:02 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> I don't know if you're doing anything wrong.  I don't even know
> in any detail what you're doing, or how the behavior that you
> got differed from what you expected.

Thanks.

My bad. There is no encoding problem. I was confused by what I was seeing on the screen. I should have done an octal dump right from the start. Instead I just opened the output files (which are text files) in aquamacs.

I see now that once aquamacs has displayed the null character in a buffer, it then displays following accented characters as numeric codes, e.g. \303\255 which is no doubt the correct character, but displayed "wrong". If there is no null preceding the accented characters they are displayed "properly". I had no idea it would do that.

Thanks for helping, and sorry to have wasted your time.

- Phil -