[Openmcl-devel] CCL on Solaris sparc architecture

Semih Cemiloglu Semih.Cemiloglu at nec.com.au
Thu Jan 21 15:21:32 PST 2010

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the detailed response.
Ron Garret has promised to chase the abandoned sparc compiler backend.
If he finds it, I will see what I can do with it.

At this juncture, I really wished that CCL had a generic (=portable ANSI
C) compiler backend and runtime support *in addition to* manually
optimized assembly backends. That would make porting task very easy.
Maybe next compiler backend development should aim that, instead of yet
another architecture port.

Some of the compilers I work with (Sun Studio CC and Intel C++ in
particular) generates very efficient and optimized code. Trying to
better their efficiency manually feels like crossing over to level of
diminishing returns.

Regards,
Semih Cemiloglu