[Openmcl-devel] Error on macro character after sharpsign colon

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Tue Jan 26 13:35:43 PST 2010

On 26 Jan 2010, at 21:13, Gary Byers wrote:

> Should '#:;abc be rejected, because the first character of its name
> is a macro character in a (standard) readtable that isn't otherwise
> in effect ?

No, and I don't think anyone is suggesting it should, are they?
Surely the question is whether the sequence "#:xy" should read as an
uninterned symbol when x is a (terminating or nonterminating) read-
macro in the current readtable?

And the answer to that, I think, is that no, it should signal an
error.  If you really want an uninterned symbol with a weird name,
escape it: #:|#X#| or something.

(Unless I am very confused, which is possible, I am agreeing with Gary
here and disagreeing with Terje).

--tim