[Openmcl-devel] Error on macro character after sharpsign colon

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Jan 27 05:18:51 PST 2010

So, you think that

* '#:#abc

should quietly return an uninterned symbol whose name begins with a #
character, and that

* '#:()

should be read as an uninterned symbol with a 0-length name, followed
by an empty list ?  (FWIW, SBCL has these behaviors; LW accepts the
first example and complains that the second involves a missing symbol
name after #:, allegro seems to treat both cases as SBCL does, CLISP
and CCL (and MCL) complain about both of these examples.  I wouldn't
be surprised if other cases or a sampling of other implementations
expose other differences.)

That's indeed the behavior one would get if #: went directly to step
8 of the reader algorithm via something like your interpretation of
2.4.8.5.

When you say that:

  Now I think that 2.4.8.5 -- when it talks about "must have the syntax of
  a symbol" -- that this statement can only imply that the thing after #:
  is interpreted as a token as an a priori decision.

do you think that an a priori decision has also been made that the
alleged symbol name also contains no package prefix ?

"Must" can be interpreted in at least 2 ways:

(1) as "it is a requirement that" ("The arguments to the function
     + must be numbers, and it's desirable that #'+ verify that to
     be true").  CLHS usually tries to use more precise terminology
     to describe requirements like this.
(2) as "it is a logical consequence of previously established facts or
     prior knowledge" ("If the sum of integers X and Y is known to be
     odd and X is known to be even, then Y must be odd.")

It is certainly not established that the (alleged) symbol name doesn't
contain a package prefix; every implementation that I've looked at
treats that as something that needs to be verified at runtime. ("must
[1]").  I find it odd that some implementations would treat the first
part as impling that something's been established (the the alleged
symbol name HAS the syntax of a symbol and we should enter a state
corresponding to step 8 of the reader algorithm based on some
nonexistent a priori knowledge of what characters actually follow #:).
I can't see how it's reasonable to simultaneously apply two disjoint
interpretations to a single use of the word "must".

It follows that I don't think that we have any reason to enter anything
other than a state corresponding to step 1 of the reader algorithm: we
don't know anything about the syntax types of the characters that we're
about to read and certainly haven't received special dispensation to
start in step 8; if we exit in from a state corresponding to step 10
(we have a token) we win and if we would exit in some other state we
lose (the characters following #: didn't have the syntax of a symbol);
if we won, we can check the additional requirement that the symbol name
token not have a package prefix.

In order to believe that there's a basis for going directly to step 8
(and treating initial non-terminating macro characters as constituents,
among other things), I have to parse a single use of "must" as if it
simultaneously means two different things.  Every time that I try to
do that, I get a bad headache.  If the restriction on package prefixes
weren't present, I think that I'd lean pretty far towards interpreting
"must have the syntax of a symbol" as meaning "it is a requirement that ..."
rather than "there is some unspecified basis for assuming that ..."; the
additional package-prefix qualification  seems pretty convincing to
me (possibly because trying to lean in two directions at the same time
gives me a REALLY bad headache.)