[Openmcl-devel] iPad?

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Thu Jan 28 08:58:03 PST 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 11:54 AM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> On 1/28/2010 10:51 AM, Paul Krueger wrote:
>> So that effectively kills the idea I fear.
>
> The idea was mostly dead anyway due to Apple's restrictions on what you
> can do on the iPhone / iPad.
>
> The iPad isn't a computer. You can go about your business. Move along.

The iPad isn't a development platform, but it can be a delivery platform.  It depends what you want your app to do.  If you want to ship an app that has a user-facing compiler and interpreter, you can't do that on the iPad.  But if the compiler and interpreter are not accessible to the end-user, it should be okay.

The existence proof of this is the company that shipped a Real Basic interpreter that can be used to run a set of old Real Basic games.  It was rejected until the company restricted it to just run a preset set of games.  Then it was let through.