[Openmcl-devel] include hemlock editor in another interface?

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Sun Jul 4 08:54:55 PDT 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:25 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 8:50 AM, John DeSoi wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering about the feasibility of including hemlock as a pane in some other type of interface. Preferably one constructed with Interface Builder. I have looked at cocoa-editor.lisp, but I don't see any obvious way to accomplish this. Any pointers or suggestions?
>
> You are not missing anything obvious, I'm sorry to say.
>
> The current code needs restructuring before it would be possible for, e.g., a HemlockTextView instance to be a drop-in replacement for an NSTextView.

At the request of a few others on this list I spent quite a bit of time looking into doing something like this and came away shaking my head. This is quite a non-trivial exercise. Hemlock and IDE functionality are intertwined in a way that probably needs to be unraveled before what you want would be possible. Every time I tried to find an easy way to do that the changes rippled through lots of code.