[Openmcl-devel] %get-ip-interfaces returning nil

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jul 20 01:15:12 PDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Elliott Slaughter wrote:

> Ok, I have a possible reason why this may be failing.
> In l1-sockets.lisp, line 1436 (from trunk several months ago, so exactly line number may have changed) says:
>
>       (do* ((reservedlen (* 4 (record-length #>INTERFACE_INFO))
>                          (* 2 reservedlen)))
>
> I always thought this would increase the size of the buffer until it was large enough to fit the data. But in ip-interfaces,
> when I tested a larger initial value, it suddenly started working. (And it's returning 6 interfaces, so it's understandable
> how it might not have been able to fit those in my initial memory size.)
>

> I don't have all the stuff set up to build ccl from source, but would someone (i.e. a ccl developer) like to try this out?

Except for the lisp kernel, the stuff that you need to build CCL from source
is CCL itself, and you presumably have that ...

Since this doesn't involve the lisp kernel, you can just change lisp code and
build a lisp image via:

? (rebuild-ccl :clean t)

In any case, you seem to be correct in suggesting that the problem has to do
with the case when the initial guess ("reservedlen") is too small.  If the number
of interfaces is > 4 in the original lisp code (or > than ... oh, 53.9 or so
in the case of the C code that someone mailed out), then the call to WSAIoctl
that tries to enumerate those interfaces fails (returns -1, aka SOCKET_ERROR)
and causes WSAGetLastError to return WSAEFAULT, which means "either a memory
fault occurred, or some buffer wasn't big enough.  Who knows which ?"

If we guess that WSAEFAULT means "the buffer wasn't big enough" and try again
with a larger buffer size, we'll eventually succeed in guessing how large the
buffer needs to be.  (Or we'll keep provoking the same memory fault over and
over again.  Who knows ?)

As I've gotten older and mellower, I've come to see the wisdom in the
old adage that says "If you can't say anything nice about a
programming interface, it's best not to say anything at all."  This
certainly seems to be true, no matter how brain-dead and misbegotten
and error-prone the interface in question is.

The modified code is in the trunk as of r13990; if you need it in other branches,
let me know.