[Openmcl-devel] Universal binaries? Closed source applications?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Jul 24 03:51:34 PDT 2010

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Paul Onions wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2010, at 01:08, Gary Byers wrote:
>
>> The issue that I've always gotten stuck on has to do with how a universal
>> kernel finds an architecture-specific heap image.  If no command-line
>> arguments
>> override this behavior. the kernel looks for a file whose name matches its
>> own
>> with the string ".image" appended, and it had always seemed that that meant
>> that we'd need some sort of support for fat heap image files.
>
> Okay, but this raises a couple more questions in my mind, the first being how
> do we create a universal kernel?

Apple offers a tool called 'lipo' that can create and manipulate universal
binaries.

[src/ccl-dev] gb at antinomial> lipo dx86cl dppccl -create -output fatccl
[src/ccl-dev] gb at antinomial> file fatccl
fatccl: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
fatccl (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
fatccl (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc
[src/ccl-dev] gb at antinomial>

> The second question is, do we need access to
> both Intel and PPC Macs to create the architecture-specific image files?

I don't know of any other way to do that.