[Openmcl-devel] Execution 32bit ccl on windows 64bit

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jul 27 23:32:39 PDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Louis Höfler wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I try to play around with the lispbuilder libraries.
>
> However, these libraries need cffi and if I therefore
>
> execute ccl 64bit cffi is not able to load the
>
> precompile SDL libraries, who are 32bit.
>
> I wanted to execute the ccl 32bit version, but
>
> it does not start and simply prints out:
>

> C:\ccl>wx86cl.exe
>
> This application can't run under this OS version
>

> So, how am I able to use the 32bit version on a 64bit
>
> windows. I found no command line option to disable
>
> this test.

32-bit CCL on Windows tests on startup for the presence of
functionality that it needs; this functionality (the ability
to influence where x86 segment registers point) isn't present
in 64-bit versions of Windows.

We could disable the test (or add a command-line option to do so);
that's easy.  It's somewhat harder to work around the fact that
functionality and to make some fairly deep changes to the win32
version of CCL (and, for extra credit, to make these change in
a way that doesn't negatively impact other platforms or make things
significantly harder to maintain.)

It's obviously desirable to do this (and has been for the last year
or two); it's not a huge project (probably a week or two's work, most
of it more mind-numbing than challenging).  If someone's looking for
a low-level CCL systems programming project, let me know and I'll try
to explain the issues in greater detail.  Otherwise, I imagine that
Gail or Matt or I will get to it someday, but that's been the plan for
a couple of years and it's hard to say how soon someday'll be.

(Yes, I realize that this is important.  If it's important enough to
someone that a few weeks' work can be funded, that'd obviously make
it happen quicker.)