[Openmcl-devel] Undocumented heap size limit?

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Wed Jul 28 08:38:51 PDT 2010

Bill,

In our server (which I presume you know pretty well),
we've been doing just fine running for a long time.

One trick we put in was: whenever we finish processing
a request, if the heap is getting big, we run a GC.  The
idea is to run it when there is as little reachable memory
as possible.

Actually we have two parameters, one for the threshold
heap size (currently set to 1100000000) and one that
says GC every N requests (crrently 1000).  We are running
with --heap-reserve 13G.

I don't know whether we have empirical evidence that this
improves throughput; I'll see if I can find out.  But it
certainly seems to make sense.

-- Dan