[Openmcl-devel] win64 & asdf-install

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Mar 2 19:20:50 PST 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> Is anyone maintaing the upstream asdf-install?
>
> I don't really want to maintain a fork of asdf-install for ccl, and it would be preferable to see these changes make it upstream.
>

> On Feb 26, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Victor M. wrote:
>
>> At least asdf-install works on my windows 7 64 bits but I've changed
>> some things:
>>
>>  (push :win32 *features*)

There are at least two ways of interpreting #+/#-win32 that I can think of:

1) this implementation runs in 32-bit mode on Windows.

2) this implementation uses the "Win32" API (not the "Win16" API, which
    hasn't really been used or supported in a long, long time.)  64-bit Windows
    uses essentially the same interfaces.

There's some precedent for (2): the Windows header files #define WIN32
even on 64-bit Windows, so C code uses

#ifdef WIN32
use_feature_that_didnt_exist_in_win16()
#endif

There's also reason to think that sane people would find (2) confusing,
bit if it's already in widespread use CCL might as well conform to it.
("If other Lisps jumped off a cliff ...")

(I don't know if it's in fact in widespread use, e.g., if other 64-bit
Windows CL implementation have :win32 on *features*.)