[Openmcl-devel] UTF-8

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Mar 8 09:26:39 PST 2010

This might be a good time to get back up on my UTF-8 soap box.  Dealing with unicode encodings is the contemporary equivalent of mucking around with IRQ settings on PC expansion cards back in the bad old days.  It is consistently confusing to newcomers and often causes silent failures that even experienced programmers have a hard time debugging.  There is a very simple solution to this: if you are writing any unicode-aware code, make UTF-8 be the default encoding.  If you are using any unicode-aware software whose default encoding is not UTF-8, urge the authors to change it to UTF-8.

rg