[Openmcl-devel] Using readtables for only one library

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon May 10 08:43:58 PDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 6:48 AM, Dan Weinreb wrote:

> By the way, one of the things I was thinking of
> doing was making this Ruby-ism work:
>
> "There were ${n} words in the file."
>
> It's lexical shorthand for a subset of "format",
> to put it in Common Lisp terms.  It doesn't
> break Slime's indentation.

Why do you want a reader macro for that?  Since these strings will always be passed as arguments to functions you can just process them at run time (or macroexpansion time if you need efficiency).  Making that work as a reader macro would require redefining the reader macro for double quotes, which would cause ALL strings to be read with your Ruby syntax, not just ones being passed as arguments to format.  That seems unlikely to be what you want even leaving aside the issue of conflicting with other people's code.

rg