[Openmcl-devel] open-shared-library hangs trying to open cygcc_s-1.dll in win32

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Nov 10 11:50:02 PST 2010

CCL doesn't use Cygwin libraries (both to avoid dependencies and because
of licensing concerns which may or may not still be valid - at one point,
Cygwin was GPLed, IIRC.)  Its kernel can be built with the Cygwin toolchain
(at least with versions of the Cygwin toolchain that support the -mno-cygwin
option.)

I don't know what happens if you try to dynamically load Cygwin libraries
into a non-Cygwin application.  Whatever it is is (a) likely to be unpleasant
and (b) very likely what you're seeing.

I suppose that (c) would be "doesn't have anything to do with CCL, specifically."
(As you seem to note.)

If you can find or build non-Cygwin versions of the libraries that you're trying
to load, you'll likely find that that works better.