[Openmcl-devel] stream-external-encoding: mythical beast?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Oct 11 07:15:10 PDT 2010

The documentation's wrong; the standard CL function to access the
external-format of a file-stream is CL:STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT.

In CCL, it's possible to use STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT on streams that
aren't FILE-STREAMs, and to use SETF with STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT on
open streams that were created by functions that accept an
:external-format argument.  I think that the documentation's probably
trying to document these extensions (it should), but of course that's
just a guess ...