[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Thu Oct 21 11:12:07 PDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> I wonder if a CCL app would be OK? Anybody cares to speculate? I would assume so.

I would predict not.

> Also, what is the deal with do not "implement their own copy protection"? Does Apple include some copyright support for Mac apps sold via the Mac app store?

Of course they will.  Why would you doubt it for a moment?

> Exciting times for people developing CCL app and trying to sell them? Depending on the fine print... perhaps.

I really hate to rain on the parade, but I'd be shocked if CCL apps are allowed in the app store.  All indications are that Jobs wants complete control over the Apple ecosystem.  And he doesn't like Lisp.  In fact, he doesn't like anything that isn't ObjectiveC.

In fact, I'll go out even further on my limb and predict that OS X itself will be deprecated within five years.  Of course, it won't be officially announced as being deprecated the way Java was.  But some day in the not too distant future Apple will Announce the bastard stepchild of OS X and iOS (I'll call it OS/X LOLCat), and it will look a lot more like iOS than it does OSX.  In particular, it will be a closed system.  No more finder.  No more terminal.  Only the launcher and the app store.  For a while you will be able to run legacy apps in a backwards-compatibility mode (anyone remember "Classic"?) but eventually that will go away too.

I could be wrong.  I hope I am.  But I don't see any other way these tea leaves could be read.  Jobs has telegraphed is intentions pretty clearly.

rg