[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Fri Oct 22 03:03:47 PDT 2010

On 21 Oct 2010, at 19:12, Ron Garret wrote:

>  could be wrong.  I hope I am.  But I don't see any other way these tea leaves could be read.  Jobs has telegraphed is intentions pretty clearly.

This sounds right to me.  It's also extremely depressing, since the reason I got a mac in the first place was that it was a Unix system (so I feel at home) yet with a good GUI and a decent range of "traditional desktop" applications which I would not have to assemble from sticky tape and glue.  I've now made a significant investment both in applications and in time (the usual dozens of shell scripts holding the thing together) on the platform and it looks like Apple are just going to close it down.  Yes, this does make me look like an idiot for trusting them.  I guess I should be grateful for 5 years of a pleasant environment.