[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: solving Lisp's last mile problem

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Sat Oct 23 11:28:46 PDT 2010

On Oct 23, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

> Or we could use CCL to develop the platform that becomes the de facto standard for cloud computing.

True, but now the last mile problem becomes that of "how do you monetize cloud computing?"

The reason the App Store is so attractive to developers is that it effectively outsources the whole business end (which is not most developers' core competency) to Apple, a proven master at monetizing online digital media (i.e., iTunes and the iTunes Store). This is no small thing - remember, back in the Napster days most everyone thought it would be impossible to build a profitable business around getting customers to pay for something that was widely available for free - i.e., digital music downloads.

So we have (hypothetically) a killer cloud app build with ccl - how do we get people to plunk down cash for it? I'm not being rhetorical here - I'm honestly curious.

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com