[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Mon Oct 25 12:01:06 PDT 2010

On 23 Oct 2010, at 00:35, Sudhir Shenoy wrote:

> Of course, there have been some changes of late e.g., charging $100 per year for iOS devs and deprecating their JVM a few days ago so the old philosophy is in the process of modification. I think this is driven purely by financial considerations, though, rather than out of a desire to screw an inferior race of developers (which is what your comment implies).

I forgot to pick up on this earlier, & may be it is not of interest, but my guess is the reason for charging to be an iOS developer is that, presumably, iOS developers can deploy applications they write to their own device(s) for testing.  So if becoming a developer was free, you can circumvent the app store by becoming a "developer" and then simply deploying applications which you get by fetching them from wherever (possibly jumping through whatever scriptable hoop you need to jump through to make the application show up as "yours").  In other words you can bypass the app store.  Not good of course, so charge enough that people won't do that.