[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Brian Mastenbrook brian at mastenbrook.net
Mon Oct 25 15:55:30 PDT 2010

On 10/25/2010 05:11 PM, Daniel Weinreb wrote:
> I'm just back from the Int'l Lisp Conference.  Go to the App Store
> and download Farmageddon for your iPhone. It is a cute, silly
> game featuring ducks, geese, and, yes, cows.
>
> And it's written entirely in Gambit Scheme.

There are other Gambit apps on the store too. The difference between
Gambit and OpenMCL here is that Gambit compiles the Scheme code into C,
which means that it's less likely to use "undocumented" APIs than
something like OpenMCL. Note that Apple is actually using static
analysis tools for the iPhone app store to enforce that restriction.

I expect that someone could use ECL to write apps in Common Lisp for the
Apple app stores today, though I'm not aware of any apps on the store
written this way.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net