[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Mon Oct 25 17:06:55 PDT 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> On 10/25/2010 06:38 PM, Alexander Repenning wrote:
>> I think there is a BIG confusion. There are no Lisp applications of any kind in the Mac App store.  The Coming Soon, i.e., not even existing yet Mac App store has essentially nothing to do with the App Store other than Apple being behind it.
>>

> The iPhone app store has to do with the Mac app store in that the restrictions on what apps are allowable in the Mac app store are very similar to those in the iPhone app store, so Apple's approval of applications for the iPhone store is likely to be relevant to what they will approve for the Mac app store. In particular, the restriction on use of undocumented APIs is present for both stores, and has already been noted as a concern for OpenMCL.

That is certainly a concern but what are these undocumented APIs? Are we talking some Darwin functions with vague man pages or 100% undocumented mystery functions? There are some secret API that Apple really does not want developers to use. I would imagine that is the sort of problem. For the Mac App store do the guidelines prevent compilers and interpreters? As far as I can tell CCL itself, modulo mystery APIs, may be an acceptable free Mac App store app. Perhaps this is worth a shot? There is one way to find out. Submit it! If CCL passes then so would CCL made apps as long as they stick to the rest of the guidelines.

Alex

> --
> Brian Mastenbrook
> brian at mastenbrook.net