[Openmcl-devel] Mac App store: will CCL apps fly?

peter p2.edoc at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:16:33 PDT 2010

At 10:10 AM -0400 10/10/26, Andrew Shalit wrote:
>On Oct 26, 2010, at 12:37 AM, peter wrote:
>
>>  Given how important CCL is to us (and will be to Apple once we can
>>deliver our apps via their store), might Apple be able to pass
>>judgement on CCL's purity/compliance now, hence leave us with our
>>own walled garden inside CCL. Ie. within CCL we'd be safe knowing
>>that we couldn't break any rules re. illegal instructions, if we
>>only used CCL (meaning pure lisp as opposed to CCL environment or
>>API). Hence one test of all of CCL rather than every app having to
>>be tested in this regard and being subject to the whims of Apple
>>testers. I can't see how it could be done, but a "Verified as pure
>>CCL" sticker might actually help progress pass the guard hounds at
>>the Apple door. So could Clozure ask apple to check CCL for
>>quarantine clearance?
>

>Based on past history, there is zero chance Apple will do this.
>They didn't return Novell's phone calls when the ability to use
>Monotouch for iOS was in doubt.  They aren't going to give us any
>official blessing.
>
>On the other hand, I think it would be a worthwhile experiment to
>write a little app in CCL and submit it to the Mac App and see what
>happens.  I would not submit CCL itself; it's not a typical "app,"
>the UI isn't fully polished, etc.  It could have more problems than
>a simpler app written in CCL would have.  But I think it would be
>great to have someone submit a little app written in CCL.

Even better would be an open source app where we can all follow how
it was put together from start to finish (and maybe contribute too).

Hopefully an app that uses of lisp, Cocoa, OpenGL and is small and simple.
Any suggestions of the some of appropriate app that doesn't clash
with Apple regulations?
(even if rather fatuous, we're not concerned with sales)

Hopefully all grist to openmcl.clozure.com