[Openmcl-devel] CCL Self destructing with error: "Untitled" already exists

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Oct 27 23:33:27 PDT 2010

Unless you've done something to change foreign object addresses (like rebooting,
possibly after an OS upgrade), you can't really tell whether the change worked;
the fact that the IDE otherwise builds and seems to run correctly - just as it
did for you and everyone else - doesn't say anything at all about that.

The error messages from make are saying that it can't install a new
"Clozure CL{32,64].app/Contents/Resources/AltConsole.app" bundle directory
because that directory already exists and it and/or the files it contains
can't be overwritten or deleted because you don't have appropriate permission.
(Someone else owns some/all of those files and/or someone changed their permissions.)
'make' - or any other program running as you - has exactly the same permissions
and restrictions that you do.)

It looks like the files in question are in

./AltConsole.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib

and especially in the .svn directory of that directory.  Strictly speaking,
the .svn files don't need to be copied into the bundle; they've already been
copied (in a way that tries to preserve their ownership and permissions) by
a previous invocation of make, which seems to suggest that you don't own and/or
can't write to the .svn files in the source directory.  Generally speaking,
those files are owned by whatever user ran "svn co", and the errors that you
see below suggest that that wasn't you.

You can do

$ cd CCL
$ sudo rm -rf Clozure\ CL64.app/Contents/Resources/AltConsole.app

and re-do the build and that should work, but unless you identify and fix
the underlying problem it's likely to recur.  (If we avoid copying the .svn
directories, it could happen with other files/directories.)

I don't think that CCL (running as you) or svn (running as you) could or would
have changed file ownership or permissions, so I'm tempted to assume that
one or more bipeds (humans) were involved.  I don't know that; I suppose that
some system installation/backup/migration tool could also be responsible.  Such
tools usually take care to preserve ownership/permission info (they'd be pretty
useless if they didn't), so I lean towards suspecting the biped(s).