[Openmcl-devel] cocoa bridge memory management changes?

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Fri Sep 24 14:28:27 PDT 2010

On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> Since it leaks only when allocated with make-instance, I conclude that there was a bug recently introduced in make-instance for cocoa classes.

OK, I've determined that what looks like a memory leak is actually a caching behavior of Core Image. CIImages are cached and memory use can rise a couple of hundred megabytes before the cache is turned over. For some reason, allocating these CIImages via make-instance causes them to be cached for longer than if I allocate them with (#/imageWithData: ns:c-i-image ... or (#/initWithData: (#/alloc ns:c-i-image) ...

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com