[Openmcl-devel] CCL images, consumer apps, and piracy

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 20:55:54 PDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Andrew Shalit <alms at clozure.com> wrote:

> But perhaps we're still not understanding what your concern.  If you could state more specifically why you think it would be easier to hijack and repurpose a CCL application than an application written in another language, we might be able to respond more fully.

It is trivially easy to decompile a bytecoded language such as Java or
C#.  At present I don't know how much of CCL's operation is based on
bytecode or native code.  I don't know what compilation information is
retained or lost in the resulting image.  I don't know what its
equivalents of stripping symbols or removing debugging information
are.  I don't know how function or module linkage is performed.  I
know how these things are done in C/C++ and roughly what to expect
from a security / piracy / reverse engineering standpoint.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every