[Openmcl-devel] cl-bench Windows 32-bit performance

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:59:12 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:

> SBCL was able to compile but not execute cl-bench.  I got confirmation
> from the sbcl-help mailing list that this is a known issue on Windows.
>  So for the present, CCL is certainly faster on Windows than SBCL, by
> virtue of working.

CCL is also faster than Allegro CL 8.2 Express Edition by the same
virtue.  The latter will not allocate a heap of sufficient size to run
cl-bench; a sales pitch is given that the $99 Student version doesn't
have this problem.  I'll pass.

CCL is also faster than Lispworks Personal Edition 6.0.1 by a similar
virtue.  The latter does not have a console interface available.  The
GUI is always started and there does not appear to be a workaround.
http://www.lispworks.com/kb/ec159d5e619fdaad802567c10046faf4.html  I
tried to load the scripts manually from within the IDE using the
listener, but it does not appear to understand hierarchical directory
structure.  Surfing the internet to figure it out became too tedious,
so I gave up.  Even if I did figure it out, the Personal Edition has a
heap limitation and it wouldn't shock me if it can't run cl-bench
anyways.

I don't know about speed but CCL is batting 100% for usability.  I am
totally unimpressed by those evaluation versions.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every