[Openmcl-devel] print leak will crash CCL/Windows/Cocotron app when WaltConsole is missing

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Dec 2 12:44:17 PST 2011

You presumably mean that printing to the stream which is the value of
*TERMINAL-IO* (or of synonym-streams to *terminal-io*) in the event
processs crashes on Windows unless that stream is initialized in some
meaningful way.  (That stream is ordinarily "the OS-level process's
standard input and output"; Windows GUI processes don't haave standard
input or output.)

Since they don't, it doesn't make a lot of sense to just leave standard
input/output streams in a useless semi-initialized state if waltconsole
can't be installed on Windows.  I'll try to change that in the next day
or two; it's probably reasonable to just connect the lisp streams to the
NULL device (always EOF on input, output quietly discarded) and may be
reasonable to provide some way for an application to override that.

In the meantime, you can get somewhat more reasonable behavior by doing
something like:

(let* ((input (open "/path/to/empty/file" :direction :input))
        (output (open "/path/to/logfile" :direction :output)))
   (setq *terminal-io* (make-two-way-stream input output)))

If you wound up in the kernel debugger (or in a few other cases) you'd
still be writing to the uninitialized Windows file handle, but if a lot
of the output that you're concerned about is just printing in the event
thread it's pretty easy to create a stream in Common Lisp.