[Openmcl-devel] PowerPC port

Brian Mastenbrook brian at mastenbrook.net
Fri Dec 9 16:05:04 PST 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 5:55 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> There is new hardware available:  for example, IBM sells
> new Power7-based systems for as low $6000, but paying that
> to maintain a port that hardly anyone uses, just to "keep
> us honest", doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't have a good argument for keeping the PPC port alive, but if you're interested in a less expensive hardware option, there's a Western Digital home NAS product called MyBook Live based around the APM82181 @ 800MHz with 256MB of RAM. It seems to be fairly easy to install arbitrary Debian packages on it:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/mybook-live

However, it might be a bit slow for your purposes. Still, at this price you could buy a few and still spend much less than a used Mac.
--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net
http://brian.mastenbrook.net/