[Openmcl-devel] self-contained executable library - how does it access command line arg[1]?

Mark H. David mhd at yv.org
Fri Dec 30 11:35:44 PST 2011

I'm trying to do something pretty quick.  I don't claim this is an
application worth
distributing.  We're using this in house.  So what's wrong with that?
So, I DO think it's right
for Lisp's to in general to support creating simple
not-necessarily-that-distributable executables.
For the "ultimate", I could see doing a lot of things really
differently.  I might not even use Lisp.
Somewhere along the evolution I'd surely use something like Didier's
sophisticated command
line processor.   But why can't I do my simple thing now?  I don't hear
good reasons.

In our case, it's an executable that starts a hunchentoot
web server on port 8080 by default, or on the port specified by arg 1 if
provided.

I have a function that saves an executable image on all my Lisps (SBCL,
CCL).

Then I have a function that grabs arg 1 from the list #+sbcl <some var>
#+ccl <some var>
(that's all the "porting" I have to do), and parses out the integer in
arg 1 if present.  That's
all I need.

Regarding doing scripts, well, it complicates the save-image abstraction
I've
got to have this work so differently on SBCL (and any other Lisp I've
ever known about)
vs. CCL.  If I really have to do a script, I'll have to do it for both
SBCL and CCL.

So then the other thing Gary trivializes a bit too much is creating a
script.

First the part about "/path/to", and then the part about this having to
run on Windows
in addition to Unix (= Mac?).

The functionality you get with an executable is you can move it to any
location in the
file system, and call it from any location in the file system, and it
just works, or at least
getting it to start up and do its thing is not prevented per se by where
it's located and where
you call it from.

Now, with a script + executable, you have to move two files.

OK, maybe having to move two files now is not that big a deal, but it is
rather simpler if
there's just one.

But then: we'd have to either hardcode the /path/to part of it, or get
into having some environment
variable to control it or have it figure out the location of the
script.  I don't know a trivial way to really
get the directory the script is in.  There are lots of google
discussions about how to do this in
various shells.  I think some work OK in some cases, but then don't work
if you've got links or
other complications.  And there's fun with quoting whitespace ("path
with space/to") in whatever
scripting language you've got.  This is the joy of doing it just for
unix. Let's assume this works
for Mac.

But then there's Windows.  So, now I've got to do this all for windows.
Besides / -> \, there
is a new world of fun google'able discussions about how to figure out
the script directory.
(And/or new environment variable conventions, if you want to go that route.)

One other thing about an executable: when you do control-c to interrupt
it, it just dies or does
whatever it does.  In a script, at least on Windows, it asks if you want
to interrupt the batch
job.   It's just another oddity and annoyance.

If there were a really good reason for this simple thing I want to do to
be "trivial effort" (or
whatever), I could see being for it.  But there's really no reason --
just the historical one of handling
the one-arg case of supplying the image name.  I think there's a really
good case for continuing to
handle that IFF the image is not embedded, for compatibility with past
practice and
consistency with doc (I assume it's doc'd), and for the simplicity it
provides for that functionality.
I think: of course it makes perfect sense for an imageless executable to
snarf the first arg
as the image name -- it needs an image name, and on the other hand it
makes perfect sense
for an embedded-image executable to not do that -- it doesn't need an
image name.

Then the only thing needed is to doc and make available without needing
double ::'s the variable
with all the command line args.

So, those are my thoughts, and hope this helps folks better understand.

Thanks,

Mark