[Openmcl-devel] Before I make a hash

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Wed Feb 2 09:45:13 PST 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 12:29 PM, Greg Bennett wrote:

> (partial or complete), I would be grateful for any advice/comments
> about upgrading from 1.5 -> 1.6. I am running under Ubuntu 10.04
> 64-bit, and therefore 64-bit ccl.
>
> For example, should I overwrite 1.5 ?
> Can I keep 1.5 and 1.6 in parallel ?

You can keep both around if you want to.  I have several versions around on my machine.

cd /usr/local/src
svn co http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/release/1.6/linuxx86/ccl ccl-1.6

Then, what I do is to copy scripts/ccl64 to /usr/local/bin/ccl and edit it to make CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY refer to the right place, e.g., "/usr/local/src/ccl-1.6" or whatever.

I also have scripts called ccl32, ccl-1.5, ccl-1.4, etc.

> In setting up 1.5 my most significant challenge was to get emacs to recognize it;
> emacs kept trying to open sbcl.

In your .emacs file, all you should have to do is make inferior-lisp-program refer to whatever you want, e.g.,

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/local/bin/ccl")

http://ccl.clozure.com/ccl-documentation.html#Programming-with-Threads is current.  There might be some example interactions with the REPL that refer to older versions, but the particular versions shouldn't matter.