[Openmcl-devel] process-run-function and mach ports usage

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Feb 23 03:22:16 PST 2011

I was going to write a longer reply, but I'd already spent a few hours
looking into this today (seeing some of the same things that you saw
and reaching some different conclusions), and this is all starting to
seem too much like the sort of thing where it's said that "if you don't
stop doing it, you'll go blind."

Apple's documentation for mach_thread_self() (see

<http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-1456.1.26/osfmk/man/mach_thread_self.html?txt>)

doesn't seem to explicitly state that that function increments the
port's send reference count (though it certainly seems to.)  The GNU
Hurd documentation does state this, but warns the user that
mach_thread_self() allows the reference count to silently wrap around
(wrap around 2^32 ?  what ?) without error and that the reference count
shouldn't be decremented if this overrun might have happened.

This stuff escaped from a lab somewhere; the fact that it's been
lurching around the countryside frightening villagers as long as it
has is pretty sad.

I don't care what a thread's Mach port's send right's reference count
is.  I do care that thread creation doesn't leak kernel resources, and
because if this nonsense it does.

(defun foo ()
    (let* ((s (make-semaphore)))
      (dotimes (i 1000000)
        (process-run-function "test" (lambda () (signal-semaphore s)))
        (wait-on-semaphore s)
        (when (eql 0 (mod i 1000)) (print i)))))

This gets noticeably slower (the average and worst-case intervals
between PRINT calls increase) as the number of leaked ports increases.
I found that it wasnt't too bad up to ~100K; it was pretty bad by the
time it got to ~500K.  (The mechanism that 'top' uses to count ports
in the task - mach_port_names() - refuses to return values > ~128K.
When this degrades, it seems that a lot of time is spent in  Mach,
effectively growing a hash table and rehashing a bunch of dead port
names (and a few live ones) into it.  You're right that this needs
to be addressed: I don't care as much as I might about trying to
create millions of trivial threads as fast as they can, but I do
care about long-lived processes being able to create large numbers
of threads over a long period of time without having their performance
degrade.

CCL makes exactly one explicit call to mach_thread_self(); as far as I
can tell, the pthreads library makes another.  I looked at the
reference count of the listener thread's kernel port after it had
compiled a small file and done a few other unremarkable things and
found that it was (IIRC) a few thousand.  I don't know what things
(exception handling ? IPC ?) cause the reference count to increase
or whether it's at all practical to ensure that they'e all balanced
by mach_port_deallocate() calls.  (I don't think that examples involving
threads that barely do anything give us a real sense of what the issues
are.)

It -does- seem to be practical to try to ensure that the last thing
that a thread does (this would be in thread_manager.c:shutdown_thread_tcr(),
which does most of the deallocation of thread-private resources) is to
ensure that the kernel port's send right's reference count is exactly 1.
That seems to make it very likely that the eventual mach_port_deallocate()
in the kernel destroys the port.

I've been running with that change in effect for a while; the test case
above doesn't seem to suffer any visible performance degradation.  (Every
so often, the GC runs and destroys some locks/semaphores that've become
garbage; if you're really creating threads as fast as you can do so
sequentially, that means that "some" may be "a few K.")

The idea seems to basically work and will likely continue to do so unless
and until the pthread exit code changes dramatically.  Unless some downside
becomes apparent soon, I'll try to check that in to the trunk in the next
day or so.