[Openmcl-devel] process-run-function and mach ports usage

Shannon Spires svspire at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 24 09:08:09 PST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Daniel Weinreb <dlw at itasoftware.com> wrote:

> My current favorite item of brain damage in Linux:
>
> http://opsmonkey.blogspot.com/2007/01/linux-memory-overcommit.html
>
> You ask Linux for memory.  It says, sure, here's your memory.
> Then you make the mistake of actually trying to USE it,
> and you get an error from Linux.

"Back when they thought manual memory management was a good idea" (apologies to Douglas)

> CCL does not like this, as we have discovered in practice.
>
> In theory, you can turn off this feature.  But it turns out
> that a lot of Linux programs *depend* on it; they allocate
> a lot more than they need.  So if you turned it off, enough
> other Linux programs would fail that it's out of the question.

I'm not surprised. Linux was built by a bunch of kids in a garage as a cheap clone of a half-baked OS that was itself built by pole-climbing telephone jockeys as a cheap knockoff of a real OS (Multics).

(yes, I AM a curmudgeon!)

But Apple is a major commercial company that (usually) seems to try to get things right. That's why the Mach leak is a surprise.