[Openmcl-devel] process-run-function and mach ports usage

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Feb 24 16:06:36 PST 2011

I probably should have said "guess which OS I blame for influencing other
OSes to do this", which would have been a little harder to guess correctly.

The answer that I was thinking of is Mach; it may or may not have been
the first OS to introduce the concept, but (perhaps because it was opensource)
it made it possible for other OSes (notably Linux and FreeBSD) to incorporate
the ideas (and quite possibly some of the code) into their own VM systems.

(To try to get/keep things on topic, I'd be glad to start a
mach-bashing mailing list.  Unfortunately, if such a thing existed I
suspect that I'd never get any other work done ...)