[Openmcl-devel] suggestions for clozure editor

Lou Vanek lou.vanek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 14:12:55 PST 2011

Emacs/slime would address all of your issues.

Slime
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/
The slime screencast is helpful if you are going to attach remotely.
The PDF slime manual is well written and will make you more productive.
Recommend you check out slime directly from the source code repository
since it's a work in progress.
Also see http://www.cliki.net/SLIME
There is also a slime mailing list if you have questions that you
cannot find on the web.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Mark Klein <m_klein at mit.edu> wrote:

> I don't know if there's a formal place to request UI enhancements, sorry if
> I missed it. Anyway, I just switched from Lispworks, and the things I miss
> most are:

This is more of an IDE or comp.lang.lisp inquiry than a CL language request.
More times than not, the IDE is separated from the lisp implementation.

> - find source i.e. put the cursor in a function name in your code, and use a
> menu item or key chord to jump to the source

M-.

> - find documentation i.e. put the cursor in a function name in your code,
> and use a menu item or key chord to display its' documentation somehow (e.g.
> popup window)

Rob discusses this:
https://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/6e91e20f2f371b52?&noredirect
If these are too verbose, attach to an emacs function key.

> - compile function i.e. put the cursor inside a function, and use a menu
> item or key chord to compile just that function (without having to scroll to
> the beginning or end of the function and make the function selected)

C-c C-c
The lisp code will flash and give you visual feedback as to
the extent of the code that is compiled.