[Openmcl-devel] suggestions for clozure editor

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jan 10 07:08:24 PST 2011

It's easy to do this (intercept key events that have the command
modifier bit set.)  Apple's X11 server (and many other Mac X servers
that preceded it) use command as meta by default (it's possible to
change this by editing something in the bundle), some Mac Emacsen have
options that allow command-as-meta, and I don't personally see
anything wrong with having such an option in the CCL IDE.  Neither
giving up the ability to use the command key to invoke menu entries
nor giving up the ability to use the option key to enter whatever
characters require its use strike me as being any more or less
Mac-like than the other approach.  For an English-speaking user
of a US keyboard layout the option key is likely to look fairly
expendable, but I'm not sure that everyone would evaluate those
tradeoffs the same way.

In any case: whether command-as-meta is a reasonable choice or
not is a separate issue, but it's no harder to implement (and is
likely easier) than using the option key is.