[Openmcl-devel] undo size

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 10:46:13 PDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Paul Krueger wrote:

> That said, the notion of having an undo state (potentially two stacks for undo and redo actions) persist across boots of the application/system isn't something that NSUndoManager supports natively.

I also think everyone interested in using CCL to do Mac OS X apps should be aware that, going forward, the combination of auto-save, document versions, and iCloud will be the Apple approved norm. IOW, users will expect to be able to get, from any device (laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad), the current version of any document (which was autosaved and pushed to the cloud), and on Mac OS X (most relevant to CCL at the moment) all previous autosaved and manually saved versions as well.

In this context, the whole nature of undo/redo becomes less important as it is local to that invocation of the app on that device only, while autosave and document versions are global - across devices and across application launches, so autosave and document versions, not undo/redo will become the primary means of avoiding data loss, and something users will come to expect.

warmest regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavallaro at me.com